Friday, December 10, 2010

Over used words or phrases

Are my kids the only ones that find a word or phrase they like, and over use the hell out of it?

Of course they both were infected with the 'WHY?' bug early on, and that one doesn't really bother me very much. I like that they ask why, and are so curious about the world around them. Dare I say, I encourage them to ask why. But there are some peculiar phrases they have latched onto, and use every chance they get (whether it makes sense or not).

Nico really likes the word apparently. Apparently, he likes it a lot, since he apparently uses it in every sentence. I guess he thinks everything should be readily apparent, even though some things I have no way of knowing with out asking. Apparently that doesn't stop him from thinking I should have known the answer. Apparently I should be a mind reader.

Right, is another word that gets over used by Nico. You can't have a conversation with him with out hearing it at-least 100 times (not an exaggeration). It's like he needs constant affirmation, so at the end of every sentence he adds Right?! Sometimes all I hear is "Blah blah blah blah, Right Mommy?!"

Lucas, in particular, has picked up an odd phrase, and I'm not sure where he got it from. It creeps into his sentences at the weirdest times. Usually it goes something like this. "Mommy I want some, let me just say, milk." Or how about, "I would like to go to the, let me just say, park." I haven't the faintest clue where 'let me just say' came from, or why he likes to slip it into the middle of his sentences like that.

I like that my kids have a diverse vocabulary, and get excited about learning and using new words. It's great that they explore their language and how to use it. Soon enough they will start using a new word or phrase that catches their fancy. I can't wait to hear what comes out of their mouths next.

No comments:

Post a Comment